Wednesday, February 18, 2009




OTHELLO

Ahhh Shakespeare's tragedies . . . they always have such thoroughly horrible endings. Yes, the bad guy dies but so do all of the good guys! Here is a picture of the scene where Othello murders the most innocent and pure woman ever . . . irrational men. 

I want to talk about why Othello falls for Iago's scheme, when he and Desdemona had such a love struck relationship. I think this play brings to light a certain  inherent   quality that humans have to trust the bad or the negative.  What I mean is that Othello easily falls into the trap set by Iago by believing that Desdemona is unfaithful to him. Its like the old saying i've heard that goes something like this: If someone tells you they are not in love with you, why is it so easy to believe? Shouldn't it be as easy to believe if someone tells you they really do love you? But for some reason it isn't! And I think Shakespeare is creating this similar situation. I know some people are more positive than others, and some always see the good in people before the bad. But for some reason it is so easy to believe that people can do bad things and that bad things can happen to us. When good things are happening, we tend to think, " Wow check out my luck! I hope it doesn't end soon, knock on wood!" I think this is why Othello falls for Iago's trap. . . I think he has a tendency toward the negative. Maybe he was surprised that he "won" (I.III.95) Desdemona (perhaps based on an insecurity about the color of his skin in company of fair skinned nobles) that he is prone to thinking that something could go wrong between them no matter how much he loves her. . . And no matter how much she says she loves him! 
 


1 comment:

  1. wow, Paris, that is an awesome analysis! :)


    ...that's all I can say...

    j

    ReplyDelete